One of our favorite days of the week is Thursday, and not just because it’s so very close to the start of the weekend, but also because our soup of the day is the classic Cheddar Broccoli! This creamy stew never fails to please, and today we would like to provide you with a quick and easy recipe to make this soup at home. With only a few ingredients and fellow broccoli-lovers to share with, this recipe will become a permanent one in your home!
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1/2 medium chopped onion
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 lb fresh broccoli (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup carrot, julienned
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 8 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Saute the onion in 1 tablespoon melted butter and set aside. In a large pot whisk together the melted butter and flour over medium heat for about 3-4 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in the half and half and chicken stock. Let it simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, carrots, and onions. Let them simmer on medium low for about 25 minutes until the broccoli and carrots are tender.
- Add nutmeg, salt and pepper, and sharp cheddar cheese. Let the cheese melt and then serve. For a smoother soup puree it in a blender!
Pretty easy, right? Enjoy!